Sunday, September 8, 2013

Meal Plan - Dinners for the week of Sept. 8-14

Using the Food Planner app on my Android phone, I've created a dinner meal plan for the upcoming week.

Tonight we will be having meatless nachos in an effort to use the fresh salsa my husband HAD to buy at Sam's Club last week. Even with no cheese (which I can't eat anyway) the kids are very excited about getting nachos for dinner because they get to build them themselves.
Monday I will put an all-natural pork roast in the crock pot with a glaze similar to the recipe for chili rubbed pork tenderloin with apricot ginger glaze. I'll probably throw some carrots in with it, and serve with salad and a packaged Knorr Chicken Broccoli Rice Side.
Tuesdays meal of pork carnitas will be made with leftover roast. I'll shred and season some of the meat with mexican seasoning, and sautee in oil with onions and peppers, then serve that with some guacamole and salsa on flour tortillas.
The last of the leftover roast will be used on Wednesday night to make BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Served with green beans and corn on the cob.
Thursday I am making kabobs with some chuck tender steaks. Marinating and grilling cheap cuts of steak on kabobs is the best way to use them, in my opinion. onions, and squash will accompany the meat on the skewers, and will be served with baked sweet potatoes and salad.
Friday I will be cooking a pot of pinto beans with hamburger and tomatoes. This is a hearty dish that I LOVE to cook in the colder months, but since I've had a hankering for some beans I'll just hope it cools off a little by this Friday. I'll serve these with some corn bread and possibly a batch of fried potatoes/sweet potatoes.
Saturday I will be trying out a new recipe for sweet and sour pork chops. Hopefully it turns out good and I can add it to my arsenal of pork recipes, since we eat so much of it. I'll make rice and steamed garlic green beans to accompany them.

These meals are not set in stone, and I may change it up depending on our schedule and what we're in the mood for each day.

The app is pretty simple to use so far, but it's kind of a pain to have to have a recipe in order to add the item to my menu plan. Once I started adding the snack foods from my pantry to the "inventory" list, I realized we have WAY too many snack foods! Most of them end up in the girls' lunch boxes, but now I know I don't need to purchase any snacks for the next few shopping trips. So far the app is helping me keep my kitchen a little more organized. Now we'll see if I can stick with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment