Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Thursday Lunchbox

I tried a little something new today. The girls love peanut butter and jelly, and lately I've been substituting local creamed blackberry honey for the jelly. This gives them a natural sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, and since it's local, it can help with allergies. The only problem I've run into is that the honey (even though it's creamed) runs out of the edges of the sandwich. I've seen nifty little tools that trim the crust and seal the edges of the sandwich at the same time, and even found one for just $1.50! I figured I could do this myself without a little plastic tool. After making the sandwiches (one with a single piece of bread folded, one with two pieces) I peeled off the crusts and used the tip of a butter knife laid flat against the edge of the bread to press it closed. It worked like a charm!  Along with their sandwiches the girls have a bag of dry Life cereal, a Cutie orange, strawberry yogurt tubes and Mott's fruit snacks with hidden veggie juice. They both have water bottles packed today in an effort to get them to eat more. I think they drink their milk to quench their thirst, but it fills their bellies for the moment so they don't feel hungry anymore. They haven't been finishing their lunches well this week, and I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment