Friday, August 30, 2013

Friday Lunchbox

In an effort to get lunches packed early I decided to forgo our bento containers (and doing the dishes as soon as we got home Thursday evening.) Thankfully I have a pretty large stash of snack size zipper bags to contain the girls' meals.
Each lunchbox has 3 flower-shaped cheese quesadillas, 1/2 cup of organic graham cracker bunnies, and 3 fresh strawberries. My 4 year old loves raisins, and has a small lidded container full in her lunch along with a Fruitifuls juice box. My second grader will have the same juice and some honey roasted peanuts instead of raisins.
These quesadillas are a regular item at home, but a first for the lunchbox, so we'll see how they go over. I used sliced american cheese instead of the usual cheddar or jack because I figured it wouldn't be greasy, and would hold up better in the lunchbox. The girls always have sour cream with these at home, but that's just not an option today without our containers.
I'm trying to keep a "less is more" mindset after the disaster lunch on Wednesday. Less options = more food in their bellies. It worked out pretty well on Thursday, and the girls had fairly empty boxes when they came home. I asked them if they got full, both said "yes.", and they even ate most of their veggies! Success!

On a different note, I was glad to get a letter yesterday saying they have approved our family for free breakfast and lunch. This is great since Isis eats a second breakfast after she gets to school a few days a week, and they both get milk or juice at school for lunch some days. It will be a big break for our grocery bill to not have to buy anymore juice boxes!

I'd love to hear from my readers! What do your kids eat for lunch on schooldays? 

No comments:

Post a Comment