Thursday, August 29, 2013

Grocery Shopping and Price Match

I am definitely not what you would call a "couponer," but I also don't like to pay full price at the register, so I LOVE to price match!
Living in a small, pretty rural city limits my options for shopping to two local grocery stores or Walmart. In an effort to get the most for our money I usually shop at Walmart and price match to the ads for the Kroger and Albertson stores that are about 30 miles south of us. I make a big shopping trip once every two weeks, and try to stop in the local stores for the few items I have to get in between my big trips.
On occasion, we will drive south, cross the river into Texas, and take advantage of their tax-free grocery policy, and price match to make up for gas, and time spent hauling my entire family across state lines and around Super Walmart (pure torture!). We eat at IHOP, where kids eat free after 4pm, so I'm not forced to cook after enduring the grocery gauntlet that is Walmart.

This week, I am doing our shopping in town while my big girls are at school, so here are my price matches:

Green seedless grapes .89/ lb
Bartlett Pears 1.29/ lb
Yellow squash or zucchini 1.25/ lb
Tomatoes on the vine 1.25/ lb
Fresh corn on the cob 5/$1
Romaine lettuce 1.29/ ea.
Limes 10/$1
Birdseye frozen veggies 10-16 oz. .88/ ea.
Pork steaks $1.69/ lb
Wavy Lays BBQ Chips 2/$4

That's it. I may get a few more items if I find good deals in-store, and I'll definitely find some more meat deals. As you can tell, most of our grocery bill is fresh fruits and veggies, and we eat quite a bit of pork because it's really versatile and almost always on sale. It's also really easy to find all natural cuts.

I'm ridiculously excited about our next shopping trip because we are planning to go to Texas and check out the new Aldi store! I've never been to one, but have heard they have great produce, which will be a welcome change from sifting through rotten or under ripe selections at Walmart :P

I'd love to know what you do to save money on groceries! What do you think of these prices and how do they compare to what you're paying? Please share any tricks you use to get the most for your money!

I'm off to the store. Have a great day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment