Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Momma's packin'...lunch

Through trial and error I have figured out a few tricks for getting  healthy food into my kid's bellies while they're at school.
It may sound easy enough, but it's definitely NOT! My oldest, Joplin, started public school in kindergarten, and I vowed to make her eat what the cafeteria was serving at least 3 days a week, so she wouldn't be spoiled to a packed lunch. Well, halfway through the school year I realized that I had NO control over what she was actually eating, which turned out to be orange slices and saltines - not my idea of a decent lunch. She's just a picky kid, not accustomed to eating canned or processed foods. Totally my fault, but not really a problem in my eyes.
I started packing her lunch most days, and even before scouring Pinterest boards for inspiration, discovered that "bento-style" lunches were the best way to pack healthy options she would eat. She has dubbed these "Momma's Lunchables."
I try to make them fun, healthy, and yummy. Sometimes it's successful, sometimes not, but I'll share the good, bad, and ugly (and believe me, it gets really ugly!).

Today's lunch is pretty traditional lunchbox fare. Quick, easy, and one of the kids' favorites.


For Isis, I packed corn chips, applesauce with some cinnamon (stored in a heat sealed straw), American cheese in the shape of tulips, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread (cut with a circular scallop-edged cookie cutter). This is packed in a lunchbox kit I purchased at Wal-Mart for around $5, and dons Disney princesses on the lid. I love that it's all one piece, and snaps together like a school box so it's easy for them to open and close. It is not air tight though, so I still use plastic wrap to keep her sandwich fresh. 

She also has a metal travel cup full of water. This cup was about $8, but is one of the only leak-free products I've found. It is easy to open, only has 3 pieces, and fits perfectly in her lunchbox. As a treat she has three strawberry Twizzlers in a snack size zipper bag. I added a spoon for the applesauce in the compartment with her chips.

Joplin also has pb&j and cheese tulips, but she prefers BBQ chips. Her lunch kit is just like Isis's, but has Hello Kitty on the lid. Instead of applesauce Joplin has fresh peaches with a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar in an air tight plastic container. Her treat is three squares from A Hersheys cookies and cream bar, and she will get milk or juice at school. 
Hopefully the girls come home with empty lunchboxes, but if they don't I'll make up for lost nutrition with a healthy afterschool snack of vanilla yogurt with strawberries...their favorite. 

Hubby and I are having BBQ pork baked won tons for lunch. I'll get that recipe posted eventually ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment