Monday, March 24, 2014

More on Spring Cleaning and Renovation

As usual, life has thrown us for a loop. In my last post about spring cleaning I shared that we were planning on selling our home and renovating an older, larger home, but plans have changed. I won't bore you with the details of how this all happened, but we've decided that the right thing for our family and finances is to stay where we are and make the best of the space we have.

In an effort to get that process started we spent much of spring break (last week) painting the interior of our house. I'm totally in LOVE with the color of the main part of our house. It's called "Creamy Pebble" by Better Homes and Gardens. It falls in the popular family of "greige" colors, and is a beautiful modern, neutral for almost any space. I chose this color for my living room, entry, hall, and dining room (only because my dining room shares a wall with my living room, and making it all the same color made my life easier).
Pardon my little one playing with her new basket full of toys :)


I also added some new blinds to my living and dining areas. This update came out of necessity since my lovely children had successfully destroyed 3 sets of vinyl blinds. We opted for a slightly more expensive, energy efficient, and kid-friendly window treatment. If you haven't looked into cellular shades, you need to. They are durable, easy to clean, and hide all the strings and gears from tiny hands. The ones we chose also have a thermal lining on the interior to help keep heat and cold out of the house, while also providing room darkening (the best I've ever seen!). Though they appear to be paper thin, they are very durable. We spent a few minutes in the home improvement store hitting, scratching, and pulling on the display pieces to assure we were making a good choice :)
Stock photo from Lowes.com


We tackled a few smaller projects as well including installing a new digital thermostat, adding some decorative baskets for storage, rearranging the living room furniture, and spray painting the doorbell chime cover a nice glossy white.
 



We have a lot more projects planned for the next few weeks, including new laminate wood floors!! I'm really excited about those! The backyard will be getting a few raised beds and I hope I can get some outdoor furniture on the patio pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment